Held

This is what it is to be loved.
And to know that the promise was
When everything fell
we'd be held.

This hand is bitterness
We want to
taste it, let the hatred know our sorrow.
The
wise hand opens slowly to lilies of the valley and tomorrow.

If
hope is born of suffering
If this is only the beginning
Can we not wait for one hour watching for our Savior?

This is what it means to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And
you survive.
This is what it is to be loved
And
to know that the promise was

When everything fell we’d be held.

Friday, March 14, 2008

A Picture Says A Thousand Words

5:45 my alarm went off.

I tried to get out of bed, but fell back for a moment as I weighed up what I was about to do...insanity won the day and I started pulling on jeans and a huge parker.

10 minutes later my three younger brothers and I were at the beach waiting for the sun to rise. As we sat around shivering in the early morning looking at the stars and the moon still above us, the lighthouse still shining on the headland, I enjoyed their company for one last time. Clinging to the memories, frantically storing mental pictures and comic phrases for consumption on some later homesick day I tried to appear calm.

Then the glimmer on the horizon started spreading and we jumped to our feet to execute our plan.

We started snapping...the boys arguring about the best ways, Nat and Zac teasing and trying to irritate, Jack talking in his deep voice, and me...pulling my sleeve up to reveal my arm for the camera to catch.

On my hand rested the butterfly...

While the sunrise wasn't as spectacular as we'd hoped for, it was all I needed. While I was freezingly cold, my heart was warmed by the boys talk...and while we played, the sky was warmed by the sun's rays and a whole new world appeared.

No comments: